Saturday, February 21, 2015

Departures

Made it to the airport just in time for my 10:05 flight to London. Flying direct. Leaving it all behind. Can't believe I'm really doing this. I don't know what this is actually, but I bought a ticket to London. I did set a return date of June 1, but the travel agent said I could extend it. I didn't want to be so bold as to buy an open jaw ticket, even though he said that was an option. I paid for the return flight. Cause I'm coming home at some point, but just not any time soon.
Fed up - I can't even talk about it now. I don't want to think about it. This miserable weather almost stopped me. There's 3 inches of snow on the ground already.  But I walked to the train station and went to the airport.  I didn't even have to change trains at 30th Street.
I don't think anyone believed I'd really do it.  But here I am, sitting in Departures, in terminal A of the airport. Waiting for my flight to depart.
I didn't pack much. Couple pairs of jeans, walking shoes. I packed it all in my rolling suitcase. I decided not to take the big backpack I took last time I traveled in Europe. It was too hard to get around in public transportation on the buses and trains. I don't need much this time. Or if I do, I'll buy it when I get there.
I'm not sure where I'm headed or where I'll stay when I get there. But for now, I'm at the airport, waiting for them to call my plane for boarding. Looks like we'll be able to take off despite this miserable weather. Flight's delayed, but we're scheduled to take off at 10:59. Should arrive in London 10:23 am local time tomorrow morning if all goes well.
I'm going to grab a bottle of water and some fruit before we take off here. Maybe grab some magazines or a new book. I'm not used to traveling by myself. Got a 7 hour flight in front of me, and no plans at all. I guess there will be wifi onboard and I'll be able to figure out my next steps from here.
Haven't thought at all about what I'm going to do or where I'll stay when I get to London. Last time I was there, we stayed with a woman in a homestay. I spent a month in London living in the Sydenham section of the city and volunteered at St. Christopher's Hospice when I was in medical school. Don't remember exactly where it is, but I guess I'd recognize it when I get there. Google says take the train to Penge East. We stayed with a woman who had an arrangement with the hospice. Maybe I could even get a job when I get there. But I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just heading somewhere for now.
OK off to get the water, fruit, and magazines. I think I need a pack of gum to chew during take off and landing. Go to the ladies' room. Maybe buy a novel to read.
I'll write more once I get there and I'm settled. Safe travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment